Or, the American Bird and the Lust for Offal
Or, the Visceral Viscera of a Victual
- Wash gizzards.
- Boil gizzards. Stew in pot with salt, garlic and vegetables for 40 minutes.
- Remove gizzards from heat. Save gizzard stock.
- Heat vegetable oil in gigantic pot.
- Coat gizzards in mixture of flour, salt, bread crumbs, Old Bay and oregano.
- Add gizzards to boiling oil and fry, fry, fry till you can’t fry no more!
- Cover frying gizzards for 10 minutes.
- Feel guiltily omnivorous, but technically accomplished.
Here are some things that you, by learning from my negligence, ought do: Cut off the gristle before you boil, boil a bay leaf into the pot, beat an egg o’er the organs ‘fore you slather with flour, heat the oil to 350 degrees (how do you do that?), dry fried nasty bits on paper towels (aye, ‘twill be wasteful, but better not to collapse of oil overload. So… oily)
BON APPETIT, BON VIVANTS DE LA BOUE!